book a room
Best price guarantee
Coffee, tea, tobacco and fashion
In 1853 the corner building became a shop trading in colonial goods and belonged to Miss De Groot. According to the façade advertisement sign on an old lithograph, she sold coffee, tea and tobacco there. The shop of Miss M.H. Veldhoven was housed here in 1884. In about 1890 the retired Colonel C.G. Cox lived there, probably above the shop. From 1890 there was a shop in "fashion", which belonged to the Kneteman sisters. In 1910 baker A. Koomen from Haarlem started up his shop and he put his oven in the high cellar room. The shop still bore the number Oude Delft 187. In the 20s of the previous century, the building and the the fur shop of Maria de Hessele next to it, merged and the bottom and top house at that time still bore numbers 189 and 191.
In 1956 these buildings and the building in the Schoolstraat behind it were bought by the earthenware factory "De Porceleyne Fles" (The Porcelain Bottle). The plan was to establish an earthenware shop in the complex, between the tourist attractions of the Museum Het Prinsenhof and Museum Huis Lambert van Meerten. The plan was never realised, however. As has already been said, the buildings were converted into a "Delft Modehuis" (Delft Fashion House) in 1963. After a next episode as municipal offices, annex to Gallery De Volle Maan (The Full Moon), the complex was bought by E.J.G. Schermerhorn in 1983, who made the Museumhotel of it. Now you can stay there as a hotel guest and spend the night in one of the rooms of one of your many historical predecessors.
Oude Delft 189 (previously 191).
It is presumed that the original Oude Delft 189-191 (building on the right) is not quite as old as the building on the corner of the Schoolstraat. It did not yet appear in the registers of the "Tiende Penning" (type of tax that was levied) of 1543 and 1561. However, in 1600, the tailor Bernard Gerritszoon, let two of the rooms above, "d’ eene aen joffrouwe Vesyns, weduwe van Jan Pee, ende d’ andere aen Capiteyn Missie" ("one to Miss Vesyns, widow of Jan Pee and the other to Captain Missi"), or so the immovable property tax register of that tells us. During the first half of the 18th century the building was inhabited for a long time by brother and sister Jean and Maria Bouchon, who had retired there and lived off their interest. In 1750 there had a "meijd bij de dag" (day housekeeper), i.e. no live-in housekeeper. After that the building presumably changed hands of many different tenants for a long time. In 1840 Gerrit Sprenger’s shoemaker business was housed there and Mrs Van Trigt’s fashion factory of Mrs Van Trigt was housed there in 1857. The building was sold to contractor/plasterer, Anton Knetemann, in 1860. He also became owner of a part of the back premises of the neighbours two years later, after which saw his opportunity of adding a residential tower of two floors at the back which took away any view that the neighbours might have had. In those days there was still no Housing Act that could prevent such revolutionary construction. We assume that Knetemann operated this residential warehouse as a building to let. In 1906 the building was entered on the property sales market as a rented shoe business. The buyer became the milliner Theodora van der Heijdt, who subsequently had the building renovated. The above-mentioned fur business of Maria de Hessele was established here in the 1920s (see Old Deflft 189, previously 187), who, in her turn, had the shop renovated twice: in 1929 and 1936. The last time it concerned a new shop front in particular.
Source: Nico Roorda van Eysinga